Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A peek at Riley's Easter Dress

Here is a picture of the smocking on Riley's bishop sytle Easter dress.

I haven't made but a couple of these style dresses before. When I have, I've never lined them. I really wanted to line this one, though. It just gives this soft, fine fabric, a little more body and fullness. So, after smocking it, I folded it at the center front and put it on the fold of the fabric. I cut a yoke to fit the smocking part. I then cut the skirt using the same idea. I gathered the skirt top and sewed it to the yoke. The only place I have stitched it to the dress is around the sleeve. I just tacked it in a few places across the top and whipped it around the rest of the sleeve. It is basted around the neck. I will sew it into the binding around the neck and the back opening, as well. I'm still debating about a couple of other things that I might do with this dress.

I have lil E's dress pleated. Yea! My pleater is still working just fine!!! And, I will be cutting out Little Man's outfit later today. Next Easter I'll be making 5 little dresses and a boy's suit!!! Gosh, I'll have 6 Halloween costumes and 6 Christmas garments, Valentines outfits, etc....... Whew! I'll be busy, but I can't think of a better way to stay busy, can you?

I'm on my way to a Lenten luncheon at the local Methodist Church today. Some of the churches take turns on Wednesday's during Lent to have soup lunches. The friend I usually eat with on Weds. is helping with today's lunch. I'll take soup to Mother.
By the way, do you give up something for Lent? I started doing that many years ago when my children were little. They still practice this, too. This year, since I am working on getting back into shape, I've decided that I am giving up sitting in my chair so much. Instead, I'm getting up and exercising.

10 comments:

Martha said...

Very pretty, I love pink and green together. One of my girls was in a sorority whose colors were pink and green, so we have seen a LOT of it. :) I have never lined a bishop just always used slips. I will be interested in seeing how it affects the hang and drape of the bishop. Great job and congrats on another baby girl!

Goosegirl said...

Julia, that is so beautiful. I love the idea of lining a bishop. This makes perfect sense. Gorgeous.

Kathy said...

awesome work Julia...Riley is one lucky little girl!!

KID, MD said...

Wow!! It's lovely! You are such an awesome grandma!!!

gwensews said...

I love the light green. It's different. Very pretty with the smocking.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I just love pink and green together! Your smocking is amazing and it's going to be an awesome dress.

Congrats on getting more exercise. I'm still in couch potato mode.

~~louise~~ said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Your talent is simply amazing. Your creativity, ingenious and your patience, priceless!!!

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never sew. However, Tabi, my seven year old grand-daughter is starting lessons this summer. Hurray!!!

Gail said...

Julia, this is really special. Glad that the exercise regime is going well. I have this image of you with the calendar looking at all the excuses to make new things for your grandkids. Easter...tick! Christmas...tick! Birthdays...tick! Thanksgiving...tick! You're a supergran.

Trudy said...

That's truly amazing.

Michelle said...

Beautiful colors! Gorgeous work!

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award