Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bandana Fashions For Kids and Refashions Number 4 & 5

I was walking through Walmart the other day, when I saw the bandanas.  They just kind of spoke to me, and said, "We will make cool, cute, summer outfits for your grands."  So, I bought a bunch of them.  
This shirt is for Miss K, our 11 year old.  She can wear this with jeans, white shorts, black shorts, or whatever.                                                                      
 Next is a sun top for Miss J, who is 8 1/2, now.   I loved the red, white, and blue of these bandanas.  I thought of the 4th of July approaching.

 
This is a closeup of how I did the straps from ribbon and buttons.
 A shot of the back of Miss J's top.
Miss R is 5 1/2 and loves girly things, so she is getting a skirt.  I used the borders that I cut off of Miss J's top to give a little more fullness than just using 2 bandanas would have provided.  The ribbon is tacked on to the waist on each side seam so it will stay in place.


Lil'B is now almost 11 months old.  She's getting a bubble suit.
 Her big sis, Lil'E is almost 4!  She's getting a pillowcase style dress.
 For the boys, who are 3 and almost 7 months, I made hats.  I thought I had lined up the red and white stripes on Big Little Man's a little better than it looks in this photo.  Maybe there is a wrinkle that makes it look skewed, but I'm not sure.  I'll have to go back and look.  Little Little Man's hat has the stripes lined up at the crown of the hat, but you can't see the circle they make here.
 
I lined them with some star fabric that was in my stash.
Now, for a couple more of Mother's outfits that I have refashioned to add to my wardrobe.  I did very little to change these.  That's why I'm showing them together.
 For the blue jacket, which had no buttons down the front, I simply folded back the front edges, stitched them together and stitched down the original edge to make a border along the center seam.  (The yellow that you see peeking out is yarn stuffing from Beulah's bra.  I didn't realize it was showing.)  There is actually a blue floral shell that goes with this.  I didn't photograph it, but all I did to it was take up the side seams.  I have folded up the sleeves to make a wide cuff.  I decided not to cut them off so that I can wear this year round.
 I actually did the same thing with this sheer, yellow jacket.  Mother wore this outfit to one of our daughter's afternoon wedding.  The shell underneath is linen, but it's lined so maybe it won't wrinkle too badly. 
 These are some of the pants that I cut off to make into capris.  Mother was shorter than I am and all of her pants are too short, so this was my only solution.  I also took them up down the side seams.  With some, I've had to take the waist band off and alter the crotch area.  
The yellow ones go with the yellow jacket above.  They are linen and will wrinkle, but that's ok.  
The blue ones in the middle are a part of the suit that goes with the blue jacket above.
The gray pants are separates, that I can wear with that first refashion jacket and shell that I posted about a few days ago.

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh WOW Julia, I love what you have done with the bandanas!!! You are just so talented and creative! Great job.

Gail said...

I want a blue bandana blouse too! You are so creative.

Faye Lewis said...

You are on a roll there. Love your creations.

Needled Mom said...

Those will be wonderful summer outfits. I just love the RWB tops and hats.

MushyWear said...

All of the outfits adorable, but I especially love those boy hats!

Kim said...

all of the outfits from bandannas are sooo cute- I love the little hats!

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award