This is for Little Man. He was 2 years old recently, hence the 2 on the back. His dad is a
I really had fun making this little baseball jersey. I used two men's tee-shirts. I bought one each of red and white at the Family Dollar Store for only $5.00 each. They were the Bugle Boy brand, and had a very nice feel to the knit fabric. I cut the shirt from the white one, obviously. I cut it so that the hem of the tee-shirt serves as the hem on this little shirt. There was plenty of fabric left for the sleeves and some left over for something else later. As for the red.....I cut the hem off the red tee-shirt to use for the trim on the placket. As far as the placket goes, it really isn't a separate piece. The pattern I used actually had the facing and front as all one piece. I just folded it to the outside rather than the inside. I did the back facing the same way, folding it to the outside rather than the inside.
I ironed a two-sided adhesive to the back of a portion of the red tee-shirt, then cut six little rectangles all the same size from which I cut the letters that spell out RED SOX. I made sure that they would fit the area on the front of the shirt. I researched on-line to make sure I knew what the Red Sox lettering looked like. Mine are certainly not perfect, but close. I cut one larger rectangle for the "2". After cutting the letters and the number, I pulled the paper off the back, ironed them into place and then zig-zagged around the edges. I set my machine for narrower stitches that were very close together, almost a satin stitch setting. It was very hard stitching around the tiny little curves, etc... I just took it slowly. (This is the same process I used for sewing the appliques on the "flower" dresses that I posted about a few days ago.) The two-sided adhesive was labled "for sewing". Most of these adhesives are gummy and difficult to sew through, because they gum up the needle, but this did not do that! Yea!!! I found it at Walmart, believe it or not. I didn't pay attention to the name brand and I've already thrown away the packaging. I was thrilled to find it. It sure made the appliqueing easy to do!
Another Australian fabric quilt..........
4 hours ago