Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Tale of the Missing Dresses - Subtitle: I Am Losing My Mind!

Sub-Sub Title:  Uhhhhh......You Can't Lose Something You Never Had (referring to my mind)

Last fall I brought a bunch of the dresses that I've made for my granddaughters over the years home with me to display in a trunk show.  I brought the dresses home with me and put them in a guest room closet.  A few months ago, I took them to my dear friend and co-wearable arts fashion show committee member to take with her when she was going to do presentations to promote our show.  She and a couple of other committee members went to various organizations' meetings to talk about our show and to show off some of the types of items that will be in it.
Well, the other day, I decided that I needed to think seriously about which dresses I wanted to have in our show this year.  Since I'm probably not going to have time to get something new made, I thought that perhaps one or two of the dresses that were in the presentation collection would work.  So.......I went to our Arts Council office to pick up my dresses.  When I picked them up, there were only 5 dresses, all size two or so.  I knew that I had loaned at least one larger sized dress.
This dress was made for our next to oldest granddaughter a couple of Easter's ago.  The hemline and sleeves are made from a vintage table cloth.  I embroidered the flowers in each scallop.   There is hand smocking on the bodice.  I also made the matching slip to go with this dress.
My friend remembered this dress being one that I took her because she asked me to make all three of her granddaughters slip dresses like this one. 
She gave me the most beautiful quilted wall hanging that she had created.       
To make a long and very tearful, emotional story short, this dress wasn't in with the others.  At first, I thought that my friend must have kept it and the others that I was pretty sure I had taken to her to still use for future presentations.  But, you guessed it, when I called her, she said that she had taken all she had back to the Arts Council office.  I called the other two ladies, and again, you guessed it, they didn't have any more of my dresses either. (It didn't help that I was really having an emotional day because of my Mother's condition, which is worsening by the day.)
I came home and looked in the closet where I had put these dresses, then I looked at my pictures on iphoto on the computer, and sure enough, there were EIGHT dresses missing!!!!!!
This is one photo that I looked at to confirm what was gone.  The blue floral on the top left, the green next to it, the yellow which is third from the right on the top, and the yellow on the bottom left were among the ones I didn't have.  There were others, but I won't make you look at all of them.  I will tell you, though, that all of these dresses have vintage handkerchiefs, table cloths, tea towels, trim, placemats, and or napkins incorporated into their designs.  Some are hand smocked.  All were made with love in every stitch for the particular granddaughter for whom they were made.
So, if you are a creator of things, you understand how I was feeling.  These couldn't be replaced.  My daughter is keeping all of these dresses for her girls.  I knew she would be upset.  Finally, though, I called her.  She went to her closet that she keeps these dresses in, and lo and behold, every last one of the MISSING DRESSES was there!  When did I take them to her?  When did I get them back from my friend?  I don't know!  I don't remember!  But, to make me feel better, my friend thought she had the pink dress and for sure that green one in the above photo.  Also, my daughter didn't remember me bringing them back to her!  I am going to take the ones I still have the next time we go to visit her, and I don't think I'll be borrowing any more!!!
Except, I still need to have one or two for the fashion show.  I'm thinking about these two with the woven ribbon bodices.  These are Easter dresses that I have made for the oldest two granddaughters.  The pink one was for the same granddaughter for whom I made the pink dress and slip that was MISSING.
This dress was last year's Easter dress for our oldest granddaughter and the first one that I made with a woven ribbon bodice.
Okay, it's time to get back to Halloween costumes.  I am making progress.

15 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! I was literally getting sick to my stomach as I read this! I can only imagine how awful it wouild be to loose those beautiful dresses. Thank goodness they were found safe and sound! They are all gorgeous and I'm so glad you found them!

Ellen said...

So glad that there was a happy ending to this story!!

sewing spots said...

Wow! Glad this had a happy ending!

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow Julia, I would most certainly have been sick thinking that they were lost! SO glad that they were returned and in safe keeping. They are GORGEOUS!

Claudia said...

Well, I'm sure glad to hear they were found! I would have been just as emotional, my friend. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know how hard and stressful all of this is. I'm sending prayers to you and your mother.

xo
Claudia

Gail said...

The dresses are precious, but I rate a woman of your skills as a living treasure. I hope that you are passing them to the next generation. How is your Mum?

Jan M said...

Thank goodness for happy endings! For what it is worth, I don't think you are losing your mind. You have had a few difficult months with loss and coping with your mother's condition. I think we tend to go on autopilot during those times, and things just blur together. So glad you can now forge ahead with other sewing, and a little less worrying!

ShirleyC said...

I'm so glad you found them, and I do understand how you feel about a memory lapse. After I had a 12 hr. surgery, I completely forgot about a lot of things that my DH was in shock about. Stress can also cause memory lapse, so don't beat yourself up over it. You've had a lot to deal with.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so glad they were found! I often put things away and forget where they are. I need to start writing them down.

You're taking a picture of the dresses on display is actually a very good idea!

The dress at the very bottom of this post has always been one of my favorites. It's a stunner!

MushyWear said...

I always love a happy ending! So glad it all worked out!

Karen said...

OMGosh! I'm so glad you found them! I'm sure its been all the stress that you've been under lately that caused you this little brain-bubble (that's what I call them when they happen to me--and they happen way too often ;) Your dresses are so precious, that the thought of losing them is just unthinkable! You had to have been just heart-sick. What a relief they were safe and sound all along. hugs...

Goosegirl said...

WHEW!! I was getting stressed out reading this! I am SO GLAD you found them. I would have been freaking out too. I mean, the whole time I would be telling myself that they are just dresses and my family is more important, etc, etc, etc. But I would be crying and sweating the whole time. I am SO GLAD!!!! that you found them. You do such beautiful work Julia. I am glad they are back where they belong.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Julia Sweetie...
You really had me going there. I was so worried that all was lost, or that someone had taken them for the vintage tablecloths.

Your sewing is so exquisite, to have even 1/32 of the knowledge that you have sweet friend would be so wonderful. I bought a pattern one day and started putting the puzzle together. Your work is exquisite and what talent you have. I love seeing the beauty that you put together. Your grands are SO very lucky.

Thank you for sharing today sweetie. I am so thrilled to know that all is well and that the dresses are where they belong.

Many, many hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

gwensews said...

Wow Julia! I'm happy for you that you found those dresses. What a tragedy it would be for them to go missing. I'm sorry your mom has so many issues. Very difficult for you too, to live through. Blessings.

meg said...

So glad those mischievious little dresses were caught in their hiding places! Naughty dress! Lol! (Still praying for Mom-)

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award