Monday, September 6, 2010

Patchwork Shirtdress Completed

 
This dress really looks cuter in person.  Even my husband thought so.  But, here it is anyway.  Remember, I started with 4 different fabrics: 3 black and white cotton prints and a fine welted black corduroy.   After cutting the 3 prints into strips, sewing them together into stripes, then zigzagging all the seams, I cut across the stripes into strips, turned everyother one in the opposite direction, then sewed them together into stripes again.  Again, I zigzagged all the seams.  I really didn't want all those frayed seams inside this dress.  Then, when I still didn't have quite enough fabric, I pieced the sleeves, and used the black corduroy for the placket, under collar, collar, cuffs, and sleeve tabs.  Rather than make a tie from the fabric, which would have been bulky, I used this black and white polka-dotted ribbon that I had in my ribbon stash.  White buttons completed the dress.  I tried to take closeups of the placket, collar and cuffs, but my lighting was all off.

Below, is a picture of a toy hammock that I made while I was in AZ for the girls' playroom.  I should have made it a little bigger, but you know what they say about hindsight.  I put grommets in the back center and on each end.  Actually the ends are gathered into two sections, front and back, because I felt that there would be too much thickness for the grommets to go through.   I love the wooden letters in the windows that spell PLAY.  The other window has GIGGLE in it.  The giraffe was given to Lil E by her Grammy.  She loves her to dress GiGi in dress up clothes.
My daughter covered this 3-D cardboard "B" to match the nursery fabrics.  She covered the edges with pink polka-dotted fabric to match the curtain fabric.  She has this hung above the crib, now.  The "B" is for the new grand's first name.  Isn't that clever!
Today, I am going to make some props for the next puppet show that our Heavenly Hands Puppet Team at church is going to present at a fall festival in the next town up from ours.  We are going to do a show about different Bible stories that all children are taught in Sunday School: Noah's Ark, Jonah, Daniel in the Lion's Den, The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock, and the Golden Rule.  We are starting off with the B. I. B. L. E. song.

13 comments:

Crazy Mom! said...

Wow - this dress is cute as can be. I love it. Will you be my mommy?

Trudy said...

The dress is very pretty and cute.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Julia, you are so talented. Love the dress and the hammock!

xo
Claudia

Beangirl said...

Girl, that dress is SO. CUTE. I love it! And lucky baby to have such a great new room.

KID, MD said...

Such a cute dress!! I love the patchwork!
Baby's room is adorable. I like the letters, too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the dress too! It would be cute with some red shoes and bag. Great idea on the letter B. Looks like your daughter has inherited some of your creativity. Lucky girl!

MushyWear said...

I think this dress turned out darling. It looks great as is, but I could also see it with a pop of color from some legging poking out the bottom.

Gail said...

The dress is a masterpiece. I agree with Mushy Wear that bright red tights are needed. Your nursery decorations are so gorgeous.

Erlinda said...

WOW! The dress turned out lovely. You did a great job.

gwensews said...

That's a very cute dress, Julia. That was a lot of work, all that pieceing of fabric. Fun though, I bet! Beautiful work, as always.

Donna said...

Julia, Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on the grandbaby. Please keep him in your prayers as my kids took him to Texas Children's Hospital since he continues to have some trouble. We have Lena and will be meeting them this morning.

Beautiful dress! I wish I had more time to make wearable art. I'd love to participate in one of those fashion shows. I had friends who did that at the Houston Quilt Show in downtown Houston.

I've never had time. :o) Some day... :O) Love the colors and fabrics in that dress. And the hammock is such a great idea..and the letter! Awesome!

Kim said...

I'm always so amazed at your creations Julia- this dress is adorable! I wish I could come learn to sew better from you!

Things Hand Made said...

Love that dress.

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award