Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dresses for Lil' E and Baby Princess Presto! A pajama dress and ALOT of pictures!

Visit thecsiproject.com

First, I'll show you Lil' E's dress.  I used this larger dotted cotton fabric for her.  I used, as you can see the white with black dots for the piping, binding on the sleeves, and as a border on the skirt.   Her mom is going to call me with a length measurement, at which point I may adjust the length at the binding, making it narrower or at the bottom, making the lower border narrower.  What do you think?  The white border is sewn into a hem pleat on the inside, so this would be easy to do. The ruffle is from a black with white polka dotted cotton.  (All of these are 100% cotton due to Lil' E's skin allergies.)   I decided to add the polka dotted ribbon sash because Lil' E is very thin, and even though I used a size 2 for the body and a 3 for the length, it still looked too big.  As you can see, I wove green ribbon into the smocked panel. ** I never use a pattern for my smocking.  Then end results just happen when I'm finished.  Someone recently told me that she had used the same smocking template that I did on that yellow linen napkin dress.  I don't think so.  I blurted out, "You didn't use this pattern, because I made it up."  I shouldn't have said that, but it just came out.  Oh well.                                                      
Now for Baby Princess Presto's dress............  I reversed the piping, binding and border at the hem, I used the black with white polka dots, and the white with black for the ruffle and a trim at the top of the hem border.  I also used the white with black as ruffles on the little bloomers.  Again, I wove the green ribbon into the smocking panel.  I also used it to hide the raw edges of the ruffles on the bloomers.  I also added three little bows on the bloomers.             
This picture is very lopsided?  I don't know what I did.  As you can see I ran the piping around the necklines and down the back openings on both dresses.   
I also made Lil' E a "pajama dress".  That's what she calls gowns.  You aren't going to believe this, because I really can't.  I made this completely, totally, 100% by hand.  We went out of town last weekend for a family reunion.  We had about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, so besides packing my books and crossword puzzles, I decided to put this piece of fabric, a needle, a spool of thread, and a pair of scissors in my bag.  I started off by sewing 5 rows of running stitches across the front catching the edge of the turned under edge that makes the ruffle at the top.  I pulled to gather these rows of stitches, then I smocked with a very simple stitch across the front.  I then ran one row of a running stitch across the back piece, once again catching the top part that I turned under to make the ruffle at the top.  I pulled the stitches to gather.  Then, I stitched tiny little bitty stitches down the sides to form the side seams, but I actually did this twice because I made French seams.  Yes, by hand!!!!  Then I made  a tiny rolled hem, again, by hand.  Last, I folded over the two strips for the straps and stitched with a whip stitch to finish them, and then I attached them to the "pajama dress" on the inside on the back, but on the outside on the front.  I decided to use the border as part of the design on the straps.  My Lil' E loves princesses.  I guess that's pretty evident considering the name she is giving her little sis.  I don't know where the Presto part comes in!?!


18 comments:

Crazy Mom! said...

You continue to amaze me.

Gail said...

Oh Julia, I wish my kids had had a grandma like you. The smocked dresses are perfect - love the blending of modern fabrics and traditional style.

Unknown said...

I want to do in this fancy dress child, was very nice

Tara said...

These are adorable! They will be the cutest little Princesses in the land, I'm sure. Maybe Princess Presto can remain a nickname between the sisters. The little nightie so so sweet too! Thanks so much for popping in to visit, it was great to hear from you!

Uta said...

That name is hilarious! I love the green dresses, you always add such amazing detail. And you must have amazing handsewing skills to finish a whole dress like that. Great work!

Karin van D. said...

Gorgeous dress, those green ones are stunning, with the smocking and ribbon details. Very nice!

gwensews said...

What beautiful little clothes! I love the green dresses. So refreshing to see kid's clothes in colors you don't normally find in children's wear!

Jeannie B. said...

I love the Ruffled panties!!

Trudy said...

You are amazing and the best Grandma. Everything is just so beautiful.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Ellen said...

LOVE these! I especially love the green with the black and white accents! I'm a huge fan of "non-traditional" baby colors.

And no, I can't believe you made the pajama dress all by hand. The smocked part of course, but French seams! Really fit for a little princess!

Kim said...

every time I see your smocking I want a dress for myself! The green and black dresses are so gorgeous- and the little bloomers- adorable! My brother's little girl wanted to name the new baby Chewbacca (you know, from Star Wars?) My brother is a big Star Wars fan, so thank goodness his wife vetoed that idea! You have magic fingers Julia ♥

KID, MD said...

So beautiful!! The little matching dresses are so sweet, and my Myra would DIE for that princess nightgown.

Unknown said...

I can't believe the smocking on that green dress!!! What talent! I absolutely LOVE that look on little girls. I have a soft spot for smocking, since my mom dressed us in it all the time... :)

Beangirl said...

I am SO kicking myself for not naming one (or both) of my kids "Baby Princess PRESTO"! It's the "Presto" part that really gets me.

No really. "Presto"! That is just the best.

And I LOVE those smocked dresses, they are gorgeous. Nice princess dress too, but living with two grade-school aged kids, I'm a bit over the whole Princess fabric thing, personally... ;-)

The sewing room said...

Thank you for your sweet comment.I love your little dresses you are very talented and what lucky little girls.


Hugs Pat

Goosegirl said...

Julia, I totally LOVE the green dresses. I had never thought of putting a ruffle above the piping on the smocking. But it is just adorable!
And that princess dress, by hand?????? You are so incredible!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I spent quite a long while looking at the closeup of the smocking. It is amazing! What a beautiful dress. I love the classic style in the more modern fabric and colors you chose.

Your granddaughter has picked out a funky name for her sister! I imagine that the name her parents have picked out is nowhere close!

Karen said...

Sweet!

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award