Here's Kellen's dress completed. Her bodice and the band around the hem are velvet with pin tucks sewn. The trim at her neckline is from an antique linens' store. I tea-dyed it so it the white flowers would be more off-white. I mimicked the flowers in this trim when I made the large one, which is made from really wide off-white satin ribbon, tied with narrow blue satin ribbon. I'm doing something a little weird with the lining of these dresses. I don't want to waste the wonderful feel of the satin lining, so I'm turning it so that its soft lusciousness is next to the kids' bodies. I hand stitched the bottom of the lining in Kellen's dress to the bottom of the band.
I see that I need to press this dress again. It got wrinkled when I took it to the nursing home to show my mother. Please keep her in your prayers. She is really having a rough time lately. I'm not quite sure what's up with her. She's not following the usual pattern for a normal UTI. So, there must be more going on. The nurse told me last night that this may be a new stage of Alzheimer's. We've never really thought she had this horrible disease, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps she does. She isn't reacting to it the same way my mother-in-law has, but I guess everyone is different.
Mother thought that her mother's cousins had been to see her yesterday morning. She thought she could see my grand-daughter, Jenna, getting in a car all by herself. She thought she had been to Nashville to a meeting. She tried calling people last night. I had to go to the nursing home late last night and hide her phone. I just told her that her phone was broken. I wouldn't care if she just tried to call me, my sister, my brother, etc..... but she has been known to call friends of hers and even 911 on two occasions. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Sometimes I have to laugh to keep from crying.
She ordinarily only does these kinds of things when she is in the beginning stages of a UTI. Usually, a day or two after the doctor starts her on an antibiotic, this stops. This time, though, it stopped for about a week, started again, stopped for two days, and has started again in full force. She's still on her antibiotic, and the doctor actually started her on a second one a couple of days ago. This could mean that her body has become resistant to these antibiotics.
I didn't mean to go into all of this, but it makes me feel better to share it.
I only have a couple of details left to do on Jenna's and Riley's dresses, and on Little Man's suit. I'm now ready to put little Emory's dress together. I should finish today. I'll post about the rest of these soon.
This is what I did last night after getting back from the nursing home, to relive some stress. I sorted all my buttons by color. It took me until 2:00 am, but I'm so glad I did it. I needed to do this forever ago. Some of these are leftover from my grandmother's collection of buttons. It doesn't look like so many now that they are all sorted, but when I was trying to find one certain color, size, etc.. amongst all of them mixed together, it seemed like LOTS!
Summer Quilt In Progress...
8 hours ago