Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recycled From The Past

I posted some of these before, but when I decided not to blog anymore they were deleted.  Since I really missed blogging (in just two days away) I decided to repost a few of the children's garments I had posted before that show what I like to do best.  The white and beige dress has antique lace sewn together for the bodice and on the sleeves.  There are antique lace medallions inserted in the madeira applique around the hemline.  The embroidery is a combination of shadow embroidery and a variety of stitches.  The antique buttons on the back, which you can't see, are hand crocheted and beautiful!  The collar is trimmed with antique lace, as well. 


The blue bishop style dress, has no antique anything in it.  It's the first bishop style dress I ever made.  I've done lots of smocking, but just not this style.  As you can see, I really like madeira applique. 











Here you see dresses that incorporate pillowcases, handkerchiefs, linen napkins, and crocheted place mats.














These two outfits show the use of huck towels as a collar and a bodice. 
 Remember huck toweling?  It is a type of woven fabric
 that has a weave that is conducive to hand
 weaving a design into it.  My aunt made
 these all the time and taught me how.
  I don't know if you can still buy huck
 toweling anywhere.  Does anyone know?












The last two dresses are made using antique fabrics.  I really had fun embellishing these 
fabrics and using all kinds of heirloom techniques in these dresses.





No comments:

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award