First, I drew my design. I actually only drew half of it, then I folded my taped-together paper in half and traced the design so it would be symmetrical. Notice, that I didn't draw in all the details on the ribbon streamers. I'm not sure if I'm going to put those into the final design or not. Probably not.
Then, I cut a piece of sky blue (per request of Miss J) batiste long enough for the skirt of her dress doubled! I sewed the selvage edges together using French seams. Then, I folded the fabric back on itself in half with the seams to the inside and pressed. I almost always line little dresses anyway, so this technique is working out perfectly. (Sometimes I make a slip instead of lining.)Next, I put the drawn design between the two layers of fabric on what will be the front of the skirt. I pushed it all the way down to the folded edge which will be the hem. For this photo I just put it under a piece of the fabric so you could see how well it showed through.