Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Heartbreaking Videos of Nashville Flood (The One)

Heartbreaking Videos of Nashville Flood (The One)

I'm sure most of you have at least heard about the horrible flooding in Tennessee, especially the western and middle portions. Click on the link above to view the devastation. We have lots of family and friends who live in Memphis and Nashville. They are all save, but some have property damage. This is unreal! Be sure to watch the one on the Opryland Hotel flooding with 10+ feet of water!! It's the third one down.

We are starting to get back to a semblance of our normal routine since the death of my husband's mother last week. All of the family members are back home. Every child, grandchild, spouse, and great grandchild was able to be here. What a blessing!
My father-in-law seems to be ok. He is, of course, sad and lonely. We are next door, and so far have eaten dinner with him every night. He's on the tractor right now. That's one of his favorite pass times.
I'm just getting the house back in order, washing sheets and towels, writing thank yous for all the wonderful food, flowers, and memorials to our churches, and visiting with my mom to help her with her meals. I think I'm finally beating my allergies instead of letting them beat me. Over the past week my sinuses became infected, so I started taking a z-pack yesterday. I also got some Afrin nasal spray and saline nasal spray for later. The pharmacist told me to use the Afrin first for 3-4 days then the saline. I sure hope this works, because I am tired of not being able to breath and not having any energy.
Tomorrow, I'll get back in my sewing room, I hope. I also hope to get caught up on my blog reading.

8 comments:

Zep said...

My SIL is in Nashville with her kids. There ok but many aren't as lucky. I know a lot of people there too. So much history is gone. Nashville is a beautiful town. The rest I said in the email :)

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for sharing the videos. I've been to Nashville many times, and even stayed at Opryland twice. What a terribly sad sight.

ShirleyC said...

I saw a video of the Opryland last night, and I was just in shock. It was such a beautiful place. I know they will bounce back probably quicker than some of the residents that lost their homes. So sad.

Claudia said...

Oh, the devastation from the flood is terrible. I'm happy to know your friends and family are safe, Julia.

It is so fortunate that you live next to your father-in-law. I'm sure having you nearby is a great comfort, my friend.

xo
Claudia

I'm here until July 4th.

quer|elastisch Sabine Sprotte said...

Haven't heart about that in the news here. Usually they do report about such terrible natural disasters.

I think the oil pollution and the an the attack in New york have been more important.

Good to here about your returning to "regular" live.

Greets
Sabine

Kim said...

Julia- I have been wondering about you and your family as I have been watching the news. It breaks my heart. I am glad to hear you are getting back to normal- you and your entire family have been in my thoughts a lot. Good to hear that you are getting a bit of relief from your allergies also- they can really wipe a person out, I know! Big huge hugs for you!!

Ellen said...

Julia, I do hope you're feeling better with those antibiotics. We're here in Nashville now, though not in any areas that were severely affected. The waters have receded now, and the clean up has definitely begun in earnest. I hope your friends can recover quickly.

Sewconsult said...

Hope you are feeling better. When I wrote to family members on Sunday about the flooding, the response was, "it hasn't been on the news here". I was shocked.
We had 13-18 inches of rain in less than 36 hours. That is historic amounts. Never in the history of record keeping has Nashville ever had that kind of rain. Here we are with thousands of homes & businesses under water, folks being rescued by boats, water use restrictions. What got the most attention? When the Opryland complex started taking on water!
As a native Tennessean, I can say that we are so much more than the country music capital of the world. Fortunately, we have a great Governor & Mayor who didn't wait to be called into action. Our State motto is the Volunteer State. As early as Sat afternoon, volunteers started opening up their homes, hearts & pocket books to those who needed help. My husband & 2 others spent Monday, cleaning out an elderly (cancer patient) friend's basement. The friend cried when telling me how much he appreciated the unrequested help.
Sorry to get on my soapbox. It's so much worse here than most can imagine,
Beckie in Brentwood, TN (Nashville)

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award