Thursday, May 6, 2010

Building floats down I-24; Antioch (Nashville), TN

Here's another video from my neighbors a couple of hours west of us! There have been at least 28 deaths, hundreds if not thousands who have lost their homes, some are even going to lose their jobs since their places of business are gone. My niece, who is a lawyer for a large firm, can't get into her building due to the electrical system being under water. If you are a sports fan you will be interested in knowing that the Titans football stadium had water up to the 5th row of seats. If you are a country music fan, you will be interested to know that even some of the music star's homes have been flooded. In my last post I made sure that you saw the Opryland Hotel. Just imagine that kind of water in people's homes in towns all across middle and western TN, in MS, in Ky, and other SE states. I don't understand why the national media hasn't made a bigger deal out of this than they have! There is major devastation in this area. Tennessee is a beautiful state and as one of my commenters said, is so much more than just the Country Music Capital of the World.
I know several whose homes have been flooded, who can't go to work because their office buildings are flooded, who don't have flood insurance, & whose roads are closed.
The American Red Cross is there in force. I'm sure that if you wanted to help out in some way that you could make a donation to your local Red Cross Unit and specify that it be used in the flooded SEastern states.
I will get off this subject tomorrow, but I just felt like this message has to get out there!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been to your state but the devistation & loss is immeasurable!! I am so sorry!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Claudia said...

Words fail me. This is terrible. My husband keeps talking about it and the terrible images he has seen on television.

He saw a woman who saw both her husband and her 15 year old daughter drown after her husband jumped in to save the daughter. I can't imagine such pain.

xo
Claudia

ShirleyC said...

You are so right. The media has not emphasized enough how much these people need help. I also got an email from Samaritan's Purse where they are also assisting in the flooded areas. The Red Cross is always in need of donations. I saw this video the other day, and it is awful.

Unknown said...

It is horribly devastating! We've been thru all of your state & this just breaks a heart to see.

Network news is such a joke ... I hope people are listening to Fox where they are sharing all of this with us ...

God bless everyone ... it is heart rendering, to say the least.

Have a beautiful Mother's Day.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Beangirl said...

good for you for posting again! I don't understand the lack of coverage either.

Sewconsult said...

i have personal friends who were in that mess on i-24 on Sat. They were a couple headed to Tullahoma. He is a retired 90 yr old pastor who was to fill inthe next day for a church in Tullahoma. He & his 87 yr old wife were traveling from Clarksville. They had to abandon their van & walk what seemed a mile before a young woman picked them up & drove them to their daughter's house in Williamson county. Being 90 behind the wheel is one issue, but being caught in such a horrendous situation made it unbelievable. Both are doing fine, but I am sure that their daughters may never let them make a trip alone again.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN (Nashville)

gwensews said...

I've been watching all of that on GMA, and other news shows. Just devastating!

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Flooding is horrible. We were flooded out of our home 7 years ago during a hurricane that didn't get much press coverage but completely devastated the community I lived in. The Red Cross is great but I wanted to mention that The Salvation Army is also wonderful - they stayed in our community after the Red Cross pulled out and continued to feed us and offer programs to get us back on our feet.

I feel so for all of these people - it is devastating. Hopefully the community and neighboring communities will come together and they will all help each other rebuild. Sometimes out of tragedy beauty does come in the form of other people truly showing their humanity - that is what we saw after Hurricane Isabel. I hope that for all of the people in the SE Flooding as well.

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award