Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hangin' It Up, Babs is tired!

Of course I'm not "hanging it up."  I'm just going to give BABs a rest.  She's going in for a tune up.  It's been over a year since I've taken my machine in to be cleaned and oiled, etc....  BABs (my grandmother's initials - the one who was my first sewing teacher) needs a good cleaning.  After all the sewing she's done for me this is the least I can do for her.   She'll be in the shop for about a week.  I've got stuff going on that will keep from sewing anyway, so the timing is good.
When I get her back, she'll have to work extra overtime to help me get all of my sundresses, etc... done for the people who are paying me $$$$ for doing what I love to do.
This is my last project on my list that I've been able to get done.   There's only about 3 things left.
These are twirly skirts that I made using this site's directions.  I changed a few minor things, like adding rick rack and not measuring exactly.

This first one is Riley's.  She did like bees.  I don't know if she still does or not, but I saw this cute fabric and thought of her.  I bought the shirt and embellished it with cutouts from the fabric using double sided iron-on adhesive to attach them.  

Jenna's is all hearts and flowers.  She's a real girly girl.  I thought I was through with hers, but the more I looked at it the more I felt the shirt needed something more, so I added the rick rack around the  perimeter of the heart.  

Kellen's is polka dots, swirlies, and flowers.  The flower on her shirt mimics the shape of the flowers in her fabric.  I've been seeing lots of really cute black and white little girls' outfits and wanted Kellen to have one.



9 comments:

gwensews said...

Wow Julia! Send some of your energy my way! Cute, cute skirts and tops. Great tutorial! I have a feeling you may be investing in another machine one of these days, with all the sewing you do. As always, your work is exceptional!

FBeenz said...

I love both of the outfits. Beautiful color combination. I might be copying the color combinations if you do not mind.

Angelia said...

Love both these! Esp, the black and white!!! I love black and white clothes!
Beautiful work as usual!

Back Porch Blessings said...

Hi Julia love the outfits, I still need to take pictures of my girls skirts and tops I made them for Easter. I used the same tutorial. I have done no sewing at all and I am starting to have withdrawls.

Rachel said...

I love all of them!!!

Trudy said...

These are so beautiful, adorable, cute.... I don't think there are words appropriate enough to describe the things you sew. It's just amazing. Sorry for gushing here. It's just that my jaw is open right about now. I love everything you make.

I also want to thank you for encouraging my sweet 8 year old daughter Emily by leaving a comment on her new sewing blog, www.sewingsister.blogspot.com . She was so excited when she read it. She loves coming to your blog.

We'll miss you this week. Can't wait to see those sundresses when you get back. Hope you get a lot accomplished.

www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That is so cute.



www,sewingsister.blogspot.com

quer|elastisch Sabine Sprotte said...

How elaborate these things are. And so cute!

I understand, that you and your Babs need a time-out ***smile***.

Sabine
(additional name: Barbara - no joke)

angie.a said...

Those skirts are TDF! And you know I"m loving the yellow!

Favorite Posts

big list of sewing blogs

Big list of Sewing blogs - I'm in, are you?
I'm listed in the big list of sewing blogs Sponsors Advertise on sewing-blogs.com
Julias Sew Sweet
How to Sew
Place your vote for Julias Sew Sweet and find more How to Sew at Seamingly.com.










Attitude of Gratitude Award